6th day of Christmas Traditions with Posh.

Sunday, December 19, 2010




I know I have said this a ton through this fun series, but this girl rocks! I am so smitten with all my guest posters and there is so much more to come, but really Julia has such a great blog and an adorable new baby!  It's so hard to find time to blog and do everything she does,but she makes it look so easy!

Hey Friends!
I'm Julia from PawleysIslandPosh
When sweet Amanda asked me if I'd like to participate in her Twelve days of Holiday Traditions my immediate thought was YES!!!  
Followed closely by, crap, what's my favorite holiday tradition?
Amidst the tinsel and caroling and stockings and stories the lights literally shone above even the cookies as what I love best about Christmas!
I remember stuffing my pajama clad self into wool mittens and racing to the car to beat out my sister and brother for a prime spot on the annual tacky lights tour.  
There were three of us and only two window seats.
You do the math.
Pretty much any time my parents kept us out past dark during the month of December we begged, imagine three small children chanting and pouting until we wore my parents down, to take the long way home and see the lights.
And then my parents would drive us all around the city pointing out all the gloriously tacky and spectacularly well lit Christmas decor way past our bedtime.
Our own home had a boxwood wreath and candles in the windows. 
We're not the colored lights sort.
It's one thing to enjoy a hot mess from time to time;  quite another to live with it.
As I've gotten older my love of Christmas lights has not died down but rather evolved into an appreciation for more tasteful displays.
                                   
One of my favorite new traditions is right here in Pawleys Island.  
Brookgreen Gardens' Nights of a Thousand Candles is one of the top Christmas celebrations in the Southeast.  Once you've been it's impossible not to see why.
Picture walking through over 9,200 marsh front acres of manicured sculptural gardens with over 5,000 hand lit candles and thousands of lights.  All the while enjoying hand bells and choirs and live instrumentals.
And drinking wine of course.  
Or cider, whatever you're into.
                                      
I know you can find something similar where you live; for instance there is Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens in Richmond or the Holiday Festival of Lights at James Island County Park in Charleston.
Sorry y'all, those are the only two other places I've lived that's how I know about those!  If you have the link to a similar event in your town please share it in the comments section!
                                                 
Thanks again Amanda for inviting me to be a part of this!
Merry Christmas Y'all
xoxox
Thanks so much for this amazing post! You really are fabulous...I love how she posts Y'all! I totally wish I was southern :) Our next guest is on the fast track to becoming one of my all time favorites...I feel like she could complete my sentences!




Photobucket



2 comments:

  1. So So So love driving through neighborhoods and just gazing. This season is so darn pretty. Ashamed to admit that while I even live in Charleston I haven't done the James Island Festival of Lights. It's on my list!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What gorgeous photos! I love driving around to look at lights too and those gardens looks absolutely breathtaking- great post!!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are priceless...thank you.

Designed by Tittle + Jot Tittle & Jot