3rd Day of Christmas Traditions with A Haute Mess.

Thursday, December 16, 2010



It's only fitting that on the third day of traditions we talk about three kings! This one is from a new blogger friend who is bring up some pretty Haute Messes.  Cori is a doll, check out her blog and show her some love!

My favorite holiday tradition is the celebration of the Three Kings on January 6th. As a child, it was always fun to have an extended Christmas. After returning to school in January, I still had a fun family dinner to look forward to and a few more gifts!
                                                                     via Sacramento Street

While not many families around us celebrated Epiphany, we always did because my mother is from Mexico and they celebrate this holiday just as much as Christmas. The tradition goes that on the evening of January 5th children put out there shoes so the Three Kings can bring them gifts just as they brought Baby Jesus gold, frankincense and myrrh. One of my brothers would put out every pair he owned and since I was little sis, I would do the same. The next morning, there would be gifts at our shoes and that evening the family would have a meal together and a special dessert. La Rosca is a round pastry with a miniature ceramic baby Jesus inside. Whoever got the baby in their slice had to host a party the following year. All the kids wanted it, none of the adults did.


We've always had special decor for this holiday, but about 10 years ago my parents found these beautiful tin figurines at Dupuis. There used to be a shop in Del Mar, CA. Now, I believe you have to go to Mexico City to shop there.



On the top shelf, my Father arranges the figurines around a crafty nativity scene using garland, miniature trees, a couple fence posts, tiles and tree lights. Now you know why I go to him when I need help with my projects...
I hope you all learned something new or maybe you already celebrate Three Kings in your home. If not, it's never too late to add a new tradition to your family...

Happy Holidays everyone!

Love it Cori! Thanks for sharing, I think I might have found a new traditions for my Holiday! I know you want a clue for tomorrow's guest blogger...so all I will say is she is pretty "STELLER", that may or may not rhyme with her name!





Photobucket



4 comments:

  1. A beautiful family tradition- thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful tradition! And I'm giggling about the end of your post ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like such a wonderful family tradition. And I can guess who tomorrow is :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great tradition! I have never heard of it, but it
    Is so neat! Thanks for sharing.
    Oh, and Amanda, did you try emailing me again? I'm looking forward to it!
    :)
    Autumn

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are priceless...thank you.

Designed by Tittle + Jot Tittle & Jot